Do you want to make the world a safer place to dive?
We are searching for passionate people like you to join our team and advance our mission of helping divers in need. Working at the world’s leading dive safety association will give you the rewarding career experience you’ve been searching for — and it comes with a host of unique and valuable benefits. Apply today to work alongside the world’s leading experts in dive medicine and safety.
Please note that all positions posted are based at DAN headquarters in Durham, N.C., and cannot be performed remotely.
To submit a résumé for consideration, please do one of the following:
- Email it:
- Fax it: +1 (919) 493-2942, Attn: HR/Personnel Department.
- Mail it: HR Department, Divers Alert Network, 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC 27705 USA
DAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
FLSA: Exempt, Full Time
Department: Information Technology
Location: 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC (cannot be performed remotely)
Reports to: VP, Information Technology
Customize, maintain and develop data solutions to meet the company needs, and work on building our proprietary software built on the .Net/MS SQL framework.
You will be required to understand the functionality of all existing data structure as well as independently develop new features and integrations into the existing platform.
- Recommend data solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Install revised or new database systems by proposing specifications; recommending ideal access techniques; coordinating installation requirements.
- Design, implement, and maintain high availability databases in accordance with end project’s needs and views
- Define users, and enable data distribution to the right user, in appropriate format and in a timely manner
- Maintain database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity
- Monitor database performance, implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required
- Develop reports based on end users’ needs
- Proven working experience as a MSSQL 2000 and higher Database administrator
- Excellent knowledge with relational database design, documentation and coding
- Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL
- Previous experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third-party tools
- Familiarity with programming SSRS
- Knowledge of Crystal Reports
- Knowledge of MS Dynamics a plus.
- Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically
- BS degree in a computer discipline or relevant certification
- Minimum 2+ years database administration in enterprise environments.
- Relevant IT qualifications (bachelor’s degree preferred).
- Technical Qualifications (MCSA SQL Server Preferred).
- Dependable attendance record
- Knowledge of scuba diving industry and/or certified diver
Please note that this position is based at DAN headquarters in Durham, N.C., and cannot be performed remotely.
Posted February 26, 2021
Research Associate Injury Monitoring
Reports to: Research Director
Location: 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC (cannot be performed remotely)
PREREQUISITES: Background (bachelor’s degree) in public health, biostatistics, sociology, epidemiology, demography or related field.
OCCUPATIONAL SUMMARY: The DAN Research Department maintains an injury surveillance and information system from primary and secondary sources of data that collects and tracks data on fatal and nonfatal scuba injuries to analyze and disseminate information to promote safe diving. We work in multidisciplinary partnerships to develop prevention strategies to reduce morbidity and mortality due to injury in scuba diving.
As the Research Associate for Injury Monitoring, you will collaborate with other DAN departments to manage, clean and analyze structured and unstructured data and maintain documentation of analytic processes. You will be asked to use your quantitative skills to summarize statistical findings and perform program evaluation. When needed, you will implement improvement projects in response to evaluation findings.
You will implement a rigorous surveillance protocol and liaison with dive training agencies, dive operators, local and state investigative organizations, and coroner and medical examiner offices to facilitate data collection activities on fatal and nonfatal dive incidents. You will input complex high-quality medical and accident information in an electronic database.
You will conduct systematic reviews of literature, medical, and administrative records, and you will use your scientific communication skills to draft policy briefs and scientific reports as needed as well as contribute to the DAN Annual Diving Report and other peer-reviewed and lay publications. Some travel and availabilities on weekends required.
- Monitor media for near misses and fatal and nonfatal dive-related events.
- Conduct data entry and database management.
- Obtain investigative and medical examiners’ reports and other health surveillance data on dive-related events.
- Conduct records abstraction on all fatal and nonfatal dive events.
- Maintain database of investigative agencies and medical examiners.
- Enter and clean all data related to dive events.
- Maintain Survey Monkey, REDcap and other tools for data collection and analysis.
- Communicate effectively with medical professionals and administrative personnel.
- Read and interpret highly complex medical information from a variety of sources.
- Act as survey coordinator for selected surveys deployed from the DAN Research and Medical departments.
- Conduct data queries and statistical analysis using SAS, SQL, R, Python, Prism, or QGIS.
- Produce data visualizations for varied audiences.
- Assist with the implementation of preventative interventions.
- Maintain compliance with IRB, HIPPA, and federal research requirements.
- Provide administrative support for IRB operations.
- Coordinate activities with DAN staff and external stakeholders to document system/process weaknesses and undertake improvement activities in response to evaluation findings.
- Draft periodic progress reports and other data reports as needed.
- Deliver presentations to varied audiences including the dive community, hyperbaric doctors and the scientific community at dive shows and scientific conferences.
- Respond to inquiries from DAN members.
- Follow up with study participants to complete data collection.
- Communicate with collaborators and volunteers.
- Assist with administration of the DAN Research Grant Program.
- Assist with administration of the DAN internships.
- Keen interest and knowledge in dive medicine, dive research, dive technology and dive safety
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, biostatistics, epidemiology, sociology, demography or a dive-research-related field
- Strong personal and professional communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Active certified diver and willingness to advance diving skills
- Survey development and implementation with SurveyMonkey and RedCap
- Willingness to conduct field data collection
- Ability to effectively search electronic resources
- Data management and cleaning
- Understanding of health surveillance systems
- Experience conducting descriptive analysis and analysis that measures variability, relationship, and significance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Teams, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access
- Basic knowledge in project and database management
- Experience promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment
- Scientific writing, including data reporting and grant writing
- Basic knowledge of programming languages, including SQL and Visual Basic
- Knowledge of population-based public health promotion strategies
- Knowledge of medical records organization and management, including the principles of coding/classifications systems (ICD9 and ICD10)
- Proficiency in data and spatial analysis software such as SAS, R, Python, Prism, and QGIS
To be considered, please submit a cover letter, an academic CV, dive résumé, and two references to . Please note that this position is based at DAN headquarters in Durham, N.C., and cannot be performed remotely.
Posted February 15, 2021