If you’re new to diving or if you don’t dive very often, you might be uncertain if you need to join DAN or buy dive accident insurance. Here is the truth about dive accident insurance and what you should know before getting in the water.
I’m a Safe, Experienced Diver Who Won’t Get Hurt
Think technical divers and new divers are the most at-risk for an accident? Think again. According to DAN’s Annual Diving Report, a majority of incidents occurred at depths shallower than 35 feet / 10 meters. Additionally, the highest number of fatalities occurred among divers certified for 16-20 years.
I Don’t Dive Often Enough to Need Dive Accident Insurance
Vacation divers are just as susceptible to accidents as those who dive every weekend. Also, certain dive accident insurance plans include coverage for other in-water activities such as boating, kayaking, paddle-boarding, surfing, waterskiing and wakeboarding.
My Medical Insurance Already Covers Diving Accidents
Some insurance companies provide coverage for scuba diving injuries but many do not. Here are six important questions every diver should ask their insurance provider.
- Am I covered for local /domestic diving? Some insurance policies only activate if the insured is more than 50 miles away from home or travelling internationally. DAN dive accident insurance plans provide coverage when diving accidents happen locally and when traveling.
- Does my coverage include emergency transportation? An air ambulance can be the most expensive part of a diving accident. Some insurance plans may cover the cost of hyperbaric treatments and not the cost of getting you to the chamber.
- Are there depth limits? Ask if you have coverage for dives (planned or accidentally) deeper than 130 feet / 40 meters.
- Are tests, medications, and follow-up care covered? Treatment for serious dive accidents can include inpatient rehab and months of physical therapy.
- Does my policy cover the cost of unexpected travel expenses? It’s not unusual for an injured diver to spend a week or more abroad while recovering from a diving accident. The additional cost of lodging and re-booking airfare can quickly climb into the thousands.
- Is return travel for a companion and/or children included? DAN Membership includes insurance that provides a way for your traveling companion (and/or children) to return home due to a covered medical emergency. If a DAN Member is traveling alone with their children, a qualified travel escort will be provided at no charge if necessary. Additionally, if you’re traveling alone and must be hospitalized for more than seven consecutive days, DAN TravelAssist will arrange and pay for economy round-trip airfare for a visitor to travel to the site of hospitalization.
For residents of NY, insurance is underwritten by The United States Life Insurance Company in the City of New York, NAIC No. 70106 domiciled in the state of New York, with its principal place of business of 28 Liberty Street, Floor 45th, New York, NY 10005-1400. It is currently authorized to transact business in all states, plus DC, except PR. This summary is a brief description of benefits only and is subject to the terms, conditions and limitations. Coverage may vary by state. AG 12070
For residents of all other U.S. states and the District of Columbia insurance is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., a Pennsylvania insurance company with its principal place of business at 1271 Ave of the Americas FL 37, New York, NY 10020-1304. It is currently authorized to conduct insurance business in all states and the District of Columbia. NAIC No. 19445. This summary provides only brief descriptions of the coverages available. The issued policy and certificate will contain reductions, limitations, exclusions, definitions and termination provisions. Full details of the coverage will be contained in the issued policy and certificate. If there are any conflicts between this summary and the issued policy and certificate, the policy and certificate shall govern in all cases. Coverage may vary by state or may not be available in all states.
In Canada, DAN World Dive Accident Insurance is underwritten by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd (Canadian Branch) 100 King Street West, Suite 5500, P.O. Box 290, Toronto, ON M5X 1C9 CANADA